Once the Western New Year comes and goes, we at the Nathan Yip Foundation are busy preparing another New Year celebration and our signature Annual Fundraising event for the 2018 Lunar New Year - Year of the Dog.
We are going to bring back the night market, where you will see dancing lions and acrobat dogs, eccentric shops and silent disco ...
Bring your friends and family and come together to share in the blessings of the New Year, as our 2018 Chinese New Year Celebrations is the liveliest and most colorful in the Rocky Mountain area you will have ever experienced!
*All proceeds benefit the Nathan Yip Foundation, helping us expand our reach to even more rural communities!
Year of Dog
Each Chinese lunar year is represented by one of 12 zodiac animals that reflect traditional Chinese culture, and Feb. 16 will mark the start of the year of dog!
In Chinese tradition, every zodiac animal is believed to represent the characteristics of people that are born that year. If you were born in 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, or 2018, you may resemble the following personalities:
- A Dog’s most defining characteristic is their loyalty. They will never abandon their friends, family or work.
- Honest and just, they are popular in social circles. Everyone needs a "Dog" friend for advice and help. They are also good at helping others find and fix their bad habits.
- Despite how they act, they are worried and anxious inside. However, they will not let this stop them. Once they decide on something, no one can persuade them against it.
Night markets are popular throughout Asia and offer a variety of bustling stores, food stalls, games and activities. Ours will be no different! We are bringing the street party indoors and transforming the McNichols Building for a truly unique and unparalleled experience.
Pick up some Chinese coins from our lovely volunteers, 1 for $5 or 5 for $20, and start shopping! Night market booths will include:
- Trinkets and treasures
- Scarves, jewelry and other accessories
- Ring toss game with fun prizes
- Palm reader to tell your future
- Calligraphy artist to write your name in Chinese
- Portrait artist to draw a quick sketch
- A traditional Wish Tree to hang your wishes on
Entertainment With a Flair
In addition to the traditional Chinese Lion Dance, brought to you by the students of Boulder’s Shaolin Hung Mei Kung Fu, we’re teaming up with Handsome Little Devils (HLD) to bring you a unique cirque and vaudeville-style entertainment experience! HLD performers can be seen at Tour de Fat, the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, and at other special events all around town. In keeping with the street party theme, you’ll never know when a performer might pop up around the Night Market corner!
- Comedian and show host, Devil Dan
- The Mentalist, spoon-bender and mind-reader extraordinaire
- Acrobat dogs
- Special aerial dance performance by the Hold Tight duo
- Silent Disco
Don’t miss our selfie station on the 2nd floor belvedere! Try on some Chinese costumes, snap a pic, upload to social media and tag us at #NYF
Amazing Live Auction Items Awaits
PREVIEW AVAILABLE SOON...
This year, we will open the Silent Auction items one week prior to the Chinese New Year Event! Even if you cannot come to our party, you still have a chance to bid on featuring items, including gift certificates to restaurants or theaters and sport events, vacation getaway, and other experiences!
For the registered guests, the world-renown auctioneer, Gary Corbett, will be back to entertain the crowd and lead us in a fun evening of giving. Open your hearts, and your wallets, for some incredible experiences! All auction items have been donated in full to the foundation, so 100% of proceeds will benefit our many projects in China and Colorado.