Once the Western New Year comes and goes, we at the Nathan Yip Foundation are busy preparing another New Year celebration and our signature annual fundraising event for the 2018 Lunar New Year - Year of the Dog.
We are bringing back the Night Market, where you will see dancing lions and acrobat dogs, eclectic shops, karaoke stars, and silent disco ...
Bring your friends and family and come together to share in the blessings of the New Year, as our 2018 Chinese New Year party is the liveliest and most colorful celebration the Rocky Mountain area has ever experienced!
*All proceeds benefit the Nathan Yip Foundation, helping us expand our reach to even more rural communities!
Year of the Dog
Each Chinese lunar year is represented by 1 of 12 zodiac animals that reflect traditional Chinese culture, and Feb. 16 will mark the start of the Year of Dog!
In Chinese tradition, every zodiac animal is believed to represent the characteristics of people that are born that year. If you were born in 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, or 2018, you may possess the following traits:
- A Dog’s most defining characteristic is their loyalty. They will never abandon their friends, family or work.
- Honest and just, they are popular in social circles. Everyone needs a "Dog" friend for advice and help. They are also good at helping others find and fix their bad habits.
- Despite how they act, they are worried and anxious inside. However, they will not let this stop them. Once they decide on something, no one can persuade them against it.
Night markets are popular throughout Asia and offer a variety of bustling stores, food stalls, games and activities. Ours will be no different! We are bringing the street party indoors and transforming the McNichols Building for a truly unique and unparalleled experience.
Night market booths will include:
- Trinkets and treasures
- Scarves, jewelry, shoes, and other accessories
- Beautiful Chinese clothing
- Ring toss game to win a bottle of wine
- Palm reader to tell your fortune
- Calligraphy artist to write your name in Chinese
- Portrait artist to draw a quick sketch
- Student sponsorship booth where you can support one of our many students at schools throughout China
Entertainment With a Flair
In addition to the traditional Chinese Lion Dance, brought to you by the students of Boulder’s Shaolin Hung Mei Kung Fu, we’re teaming up with Handsome Little Devils (HLD) to bring you a unique cirque and vaudeville-style entertainment experience! HLD performers can be seen at Tour de Fat, the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, and at other special events all around town. In keeping with the street party theme, you’ll never know when a performer might pop up around the Night Market corner!
- Acrobat "dogs"
- Karaoke hosted by Fire Leopard
- New this year! Silent Disco
Don’t miss our selfie station on the 2nd floor belvedere! Try on some Chinese costumes, snap a pic, upload to social media and tag us at #NYF
An Amazing Live Auction Awaits
PREVIEW OPENS ON MONDAY, 2/2
This year, we will be giving you a preview of our Silent Auction offerings one week prior to the party! Even if you cannot come to our party, you still have a chance to bid on featuring items, including gift certificates to restaurants or theaters and sporting events, vacation getaways, and other unique experiences!
For the registered guests, the world-renown auctioneer, Gary Corbett, will be back to entertain the crowd and lead us in a fun evening of giving. Open your hearts, and your wallets, for some incredible experiences! All auction items have been donated in full to the foundation, so 100% of proceeds will benefit our many projects in China and Colorado.